When you travel anywhere, there are always a few must-do activities that either most tourists tend to flock toward or that locals recommend. Sunset Rentals has put together our list of 5 things we think every visitor to Hilton Head should do while on the island:
1) See the Harbour Town lighthouse – It’s such an iconic representation of the island with its red and white striped base that we just feel like it’s a necessity to visit! The good news is that around the lighthouse are lots of other activities like shopping and dining and the view is pretty spectacular from up top. More about Hilton Head Island lighthouses.
2) Get in the water – No matter how you do it, you should definitely enjoy one of the many water activities we offer on Hilton Head Island. Whether it’s swimming in the ocean, kayaking through the marsh, or stand up paddleboard yoga (yes, it is a real thing!), give it a go. You’ll enjoy the sport and the views of nature.
3) Play golf – We’re called “golf island” because we offer so many great golf courses. Recently named a Best Buddies Getaway by Golf Digest, Hilton Head is the perfect place for a round of golf. Try one of the two courses on the island with oceanfront holes: Palmetto Dunes’ Robert Trent Jones or Sea Pines’ Harbourtown Golf Links.
4) See some Shell Rings – Check out the near-perfect circle of shells, called a Shell Ring, in Sea Pines Plantation. It was built approximately 4000 years ago by ancient Indians over a period of 300 years at the same time in history as the Ancient Egyptians. We just think that’s cool…
5) Shop – There is plenty of shopping on Hilton Head Island from small boutique shops to the Tanger Outlets. Because we have such great facilities for tennis and golf, you’ll also find some amazing pro shops with brands you may not be able to find elsewhere.
6) Eat shrimp – You can’t leave the island without eating some seafood and let us recommend some fresh shrimp. Try Hudson’s on the Docks for a real Hilton Head classic. Just plan to wait a while during the busy season J. Also, check out our blogs on the many restaurants on Hilton Head for more ideas.